YUMMY POT OF GOLD SOUP
A pinch of sugar and salt makes this butternut soup a savory St. Pat’s Day soup. Add a batch of Irish soda bread and oh yummy day!!!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium apples
- 2 medium butternut squashes (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft and translucent. Remove the onion from the heat.
- Now set your kids to work peeling the apples while you peel, seed, and chop the squash. Core and chop the peeled apples.
- Add the apples, squash, juice or cider, and chicken stock to the onions and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer partially covered for 25 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt and pepper. Puree the soup, reheat, and serve. Makes 6 to 8 servings.